In this episode, Beth and Chad review two astronaut lectures they attended this week:
- Working at NASA with astronaut coworkers.
- Captain Mark Kelly and Colonel Frederick Gregory.
- Following a mission checklist.
- Being adventurous and curious.
- Cpt. Kelly’s experience as a test pilot helped shape him for his time as an astronaut, as did Col. Gregory’s experience as a career pilot.
- NASA astronauts are primarily trained in operational procedures, they already know how to handle the missions and distractions.
- You aren’t done with a mission when the mission is over – there are always lessons learned.
- Know who you are surrounding yourself with and spending your time with.
“Every mission is a new lesson that gets moved forward. Lessons learned were a big thing at NASA.” — Chad Mund
About Beth Mund:
Beth’s love for space started as a Space Camp attendee at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, where she would return years later as an instructor. After grad school, Beth worked as a journalist, a technical writer for Motorola, and then went on to serve as a Public Affairs Officer for the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. In addition, Beth worked to support the International Space Station program as a communication specialist. In Chicago, Beth worked as a corporate communication advisor to Fortune 50 companies including Allstate and United Airlines. She’s worked as a college instructor, a political advisor, and public relations manager for her hometown city. Beth recently founded Stellar Communications, LLC and travels the country as a keynote speaker- inspiring audiences with her lessons learned from our nation’s space program. She’s the host of the Casual Space Podcast, and a self-proclaimed space geek.
Connect with Beth Mund:
Facebook: @Casual Space
Show notes by show producer/podcastologist: Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.
Sign Up for The Casual Space Newsletter
Get an exclusive look at how the latest “Casual Space” podcast came together.